Too many emperors of the arts have been walking around for too long without any clothes on. It's time somebody said so.|
And a few paupers of the arts have been walking around in silks and ermines. It's time somebody said that, too.
The "Gallery" pages are intended only as another sort of table of contents. If you use them, hit "Comments" below the thumbnails to see the point of it all.
(Since the gallery pages themselves did not seem to solve the problem, I have now added this version of the index page for user agents which can't handle the form on the main page.)
Choose a subject from the list:
- Rodin and his Material
- Baudelaire, Delacroix, and the New Woman
- Was Baudelaire right about Delacroix?
- Why has Bosch been so popular lately?
- Kitsch and Anti-Kitsch
- Classical Realism and Neoclassicism
- Surrealism and the Surrealists
- Realism and Pretty Girls
- Surface, Sex, and Early Twentieth-Century Decadence
- Delacroix and a Mistake in Iconography
- Bad Art and Good Emotions
- The Illusion of Far Eastern Art
- Why Escher today?
- Why are flowers such a popular subject?
- What is painting for?
- Gleyre the Laughingstock
- Ingres the Draftsman
- Good and Bad Classicism
- Modigliani and African Art
- Photography and Painting
- Picasso, Beauty, and Novelty
- The Purpose of Realism
- Rembrandt and Rembrandt's Reputation
- Renoir, Beauty, and Marketing
- Soft Skin, Hard Lines, and the Preraphaelites
- Beauty, Fat, and Rubens
- Surrealism and the Outside World
- Which Woman?
- Bosch and the Surrealists
- What is Style?
- Dina Vierny as a Beauty
- Boudin, Monet, Impressionism, and Modern Art
- Gabrielle d'Estrées and Her Sister: What the Painting Isn't
- Manet's Déjeuner sur l'Herbe, or is it?
To the gallery...